Fantasies & Future Directions
We devised this list of possible Radical Psychology Network
activities right after our August 1993 founding meeting. A lot of it
still sounds worth pursuing. See Help! for
more ways to contribute.
Distribute mailing list, summary of Toronto discussion, ideas for
Proposals for next year's APA convention in Los
- Panel of formal papers [topic? division?]
- Several panels on ongoing theme in single division [which
- Several panels on similar theme in different divisions
- Conversation hour [e.g., Should SPSSI's liberals become
- Informal get togethers [hanging out; discussing strategy;
staying in same hotel]
- Being listed in schedule as "nonaffiliated group" [What
does this require?]
Proposals for other conventions
- Divisional, regional APA meetings
- Non-APA psychology groups (APS, mental health meetings,
- Non-psychology academic groups (sociology, history, etc.)
- Activist organizations
Mutual support for research, therapy,
teaching, rabble rousing, etc.
- Research ideas/feedback: What's worth doing?
- Teaching ideas: Raising issues in classes
- Therapy issues
- Reading suggestions for each other [Distribute reading
- Collect/Write articles for edited book, special issue of
- Job search help&emdash;distribute job notices, etc.
- Public statements on relevant issues [How would we reach
- Critiques from radical perspectives of APA & division
- Political protest [When's the last time APA's been
- Notices to division newsletters, APA Monitor, non-APA
- Newsletter to anyone we know of who might be interested
- Electronic mail networking [getting on existing networks;
starting our own]
- Decide what we mean by "radical psychology": What do we agree
on, if anything?
- Psychology focused on radical social change?
- Changing the daily work of psychologists?
- e.g., radical therapy; feminist methodology
- Changing organized psychology: fighting marginalization in
- Hanging out with like-minded people: mutual support
- Create new APA division: e.g., Psychology and Social
- Focus on a single division: SPSSI? Community Psychology?
- Create cross-division formal organization with legitimizing
- Radical Psychology Network (RadPsyNet)
- Psychologists for Social Change
- APA Radical Caucus
- Critical Psychologists
- Those Annoying People Who Won't Go Away
Home Page Notices Documents Links Archives Books Teaching Materials Administration Applying Critical Psychology Radical Psychology Journal
Updated 30 September 2007 - Contacts